The College of New Rochelle
One of the oldest colleges in Westchester County, The College of New Rochelle was founded in 1904 by Mother Irene Gill, O.S.U., as the first Catholic college for women in New York State. The College established The Graduate School in 1969, the School of New Resources (for adult learners) in 1972, and the School of Nursing in 1976. Today, the College admits both women and men to all four schools.
The principal campus of The College of New Rochelle is located on 20 acres in the southeastern corner of Westchester County, New York, one mile west of Long Island Sound and 16 miles north of midtown Manhattan. There are 20 major buildings, including Leland Castle, a National Historic Site and the first home of the College; the technology-rich Mother Irene Gill Library; Holy Family Chapel; the Wellness Center; residence halls; a student campus center; science buildings; and an educational art and technology center.
The Mooney Center is a vital educational environment which enables a dynamic mix of students, alumni, faculty, and business professionals to engage in a comprehensive learning process. Facilities include a TV studio, a model classroom, art studios and galleries and computer classrooms.
The Wellness Center is a multi-dimensional facility that supports a holistic approach to health and wellness for The College of New Rochelle and the greater community. Programs focus on the promotion of recreation and good health and provide opportunities for improving physical fitness through the use of the Center’s state-of-the-art equipment.
The Center features a fitness and weight room; NCAA competition size swimming pool with spectator seating for 100; gymnasium/auditorium with seating for 1,000; indoor jogging track; locker room facilities; trainer/holistic modality room; meditation room and dance studio; technologically equipped seminar room, conference room and classrooms; and outdoor contemplation garden. The center is also home to the College’s intercollegiate athletics teams and the Physical Education Department. To support development of a higher awareness of the body, mind, and spirit, the Wellness Center offers fitness assessments and classes, personal training and workshops on nutrition and stress management.
The College of New Rochelle offers a variety of co-curricular programs, symposia, special events, film screenings, and social activities throughout the year. Of special note is the Castle Gallery, which presents art exhibits and educational programs.
The College of New Rochelle is chartered by the Regents of the State of New York and is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools (3624 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, (215) 662-5606). The School of Nursing is accredited by the National League for Nursing Accreditation Commission.
The College of New Rochelle, founded in 1904 by the Ursuline Order, is an independent College which is Catholic in origin and heritage. Its primary purpose is the intellectual development of persons through the maintenance of the highest standards of academic excellence and educational growth.
From this tradition, the College derives its dedication to the education of women and men in the liberal arts and in professional studies. Building on its original commitment to women, the College also reaches out to those who have not previously had access to higher education; it places particular emphasis on the concept of lifelong learning.
The College is committed to a respect and concern for each individual. It seeks to challenge students to achieve the full development of their individual talents and a greater understanding of themselves. It encourages the examination of values through the creative and responsible use of reason. The College strives to articulate its academic tradition and religious heritage in ways that are consonant with the best contemporary understandings of both. It provides opportunities for spiritual growth in a context of freedom and ecumenism.
Finally, with justice as its guiding principle, the College tries to respond to the needs of society through its educational programs and service activities and through fostering the concept of education for service