Aug 25, 2019  
2017-2018 Graduate School 
2017-2018 Graduate School [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Financial Aid

Various types of scholarships, research assistantships, community service grants, graduate assistantships, and financial aid programs are available to degree-seeking students to help them underwrite the expenses of their graduate education. Some of these awards are merit-based, for which the student competes; other types of financial assistance are need-based, for which the student must fulfill certain conditions and regulations. Some have both requirements. Since providing access to higher education is a hallmark of The College of New Rochelle, the College makes every reasonable attempt to enable students financially to pursue graduate studies.

Scholarships, research assistantships, graduate assistantships and community service grants are administered through The Graduate School. The Awards Committee meets periodically throughout the year and nominates candidates for scholarships and assistantships. All necessary application forms are obtainable in Chidwick 103 and in the office of Enrollment Management. Applicants for scholarships, assistantships, and research assistantships must report to Financial Aid any external grant that they may have received as this may affect the College’s award. For all eligibility requirements for scholarships and assistantships awarded by the Graduate School Dean, please consult the application forms for each award.

All other forms of financial aid such as College and Federal programs are coordinated through the Office of Financial Aid, located on the ground floor of the Administration Center (Ursula Hall). Students are best served by visiting the Office of Financial Aid where they can discuss the full range of financial aid possibilities with a Counselor. The office is open Monday through Thursday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., and Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. (914-654-5434 or 914-654-5449).

Financial aid eligibility requirements are designed to comply with the granting agencies’ (College and Federal) rules and regulations pertaining to the maintenance of minimum levels of academic progress and pursuit. To be eligible for aid, a student must be in good academic standing. See Satisfactory Academic Progress and Program Pursuit Standards and State eligibility requirements.

Scholarships, Graduate Assistantships, Research Assistantships, and Community Service Grants

A complete application packet for admission to the Graduate School must be submitted to the Enrollment Office prior to, or simultaneous with, the scholarship application.

Merit Scholarships

The Graduate School at The College of New Rochelle is pleased to offer Merit scholarships to qualifying matriculated, degree-seeking students enrolled on the Main Campus. Scholarships are awarded in the Fall, Spring, and occasionally, in the Summer Session I semesters depending on the availability of funds. Merit scholarships for academic excellence are awarded on a competitive basis to students achieving a minimum 3.5 cumulative G.P.A. The award consists of 3 credits of tuition remission in the semester in which the scholarship is awarded. The recipient must be registered for six credits during the award semester. Applications are available in Chidwick 105 in March for Fall Semester scholarships, and in October of the preceding year for the Spring and Summer Session I semester scholarships. Please call 914-654-5561 with any questions. Fall Deadline: June 1; Spring Deadline: November 15

Graduate Assistantships

The Graduate Assistantship is an exciting opportunity for full-time, degree-seeking students, which covers the full cost of tuition for up to 30 credits in the contracted academic year. In return, the Graduate Assistant works 15 hours per week in an assigned Graduate School office and receives a stipend of up to $5,000 for the academic year. The Graduate School offers a limited number of Graduate Assistantships to full-time graduate students who have earned a minimum cumulative G.P.A. of 3.5. Deadline: January 15. Awards are granted to competitively selected students after careful review of each applicant’s cumulative G.P.A., letters of recommendation, demonstrated competence in community or extracurricular activities, and an interview with the awards committee. The graduate assistantship contract year runs from July 1st through June 30th. The 30 credits of tuition remission start in July and must finish by the end of the spring semester in the contract year. Graduate Assistants are not permitted to pursue additional employment either on-campus or off during their contract year. Graduate students planning to teach or work in an internship during their contract year must discuss these plans with the awards committee prior to accepting an assistantship. Applications for the Graduate Assistantship award are available in Chidwick 103. Please call 914-654-5561 with any questions. Deadline: January 15.

Research Assistantships

The Graduate School offers a limited number of Research Assistantships. These awards require nomination by and work for a full time faculty member engaged in research, and require the student to have achieved a minimum 3.25 cumulative G.P.A. Matriculated students may receive up to 6 credits of tuition remission and are required to work for the nominating faculty member for up to 120 hours in the semester in which the Research Assistantship is awarded. Students interested in receiving a Research Assistantship should discuss their interest with faculty members who are actively engaged in research. Deadline: Must be submitted prior to the beginning of each semester.

Community Service Grants

The Graduate School offers graduate students who are full-time contracted personnel at approved denominational schools and/or denominational social service agencies a reduced tuition for graduate coursework taken on campus. The amount of the grant is one half of the on-campus graduate tuition with a limit of six graduate credits per Fall or Spring semester and three credits per intersession and/or any summer session. Community Service Grant applications are available in Chidwick 105. Please call 914-654-5561 with any questions. Deadline: Must be submitted prior to the beginning of each semester.

*A student who receives any award should be aware that the award could reduce the student’s loan. Scholarships are competitive. Monies allotted are dependent upon funds available.

Need-based Aid through Financial Aid Department

Need-based aid is determined by an analysis of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA),, Federal College Work-Study, and Federal Direct Loans are the usual form of need-based financial aid awarded to graduate students.


Additional information about financial aid, application procedures, and deadlines for submission of materials for financial aid are listed in the Graduate School Information Packet, which is available in the Office of Financial Aid.

Submission of an application for need-based financial aid consists of a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Financial aid awards are based on the enrollment status of the student. If the actual status is different from that used in making the award, a revision or cancellation of the award will be made.

The student is required to notify the Financial Aid Office, in writing, of any name or address change which occurs during the academic year.

Financial Aid Appeals

Decisions on financial aid can be appealed by the student. An attempt should first be made by contacting the Financial Aid Counselor who originally evaluated the application for aid. If this action does not resolve the problem, a student can appeal to the Director of Financial Aid. If the problem is still unresolved, the student can appeal to the Financial Appeal Committee. The decision of the FA Committee will be made in writing to the student.  

College Programs

Award Schedule: The hourly rate of pay is consistent with the Department of Labor’s minimum wage scale.

The College of New Rochelle Employee Tuition Remission

Application Procedures: Faculty and staff members seeking tuition remission must file a remission application with the Department of Human Resources and must also file for financial aid with the Financial Aid Office.* All applications must be received in the Department of Human Resources and Financial Aid Office prior to registration. Filing for financial aid and tuition remission is an annual process.  All fees are the responsibility of the student/employee, federal and state aid is applied then the employee waiver is calculated for the difference remaining for tuition.

* The Financial Aid Counselor will require all applicants for a tuition waiver to complete a FAFSA and any other supporting documentation as required if their record is selected for Federal Verification.*

Selection of Recipients and Allocation of Awards: After one year of continuous full-time employment, faculty and staff meeting admission requirements may take courses on a matriculated basis in any of the College’s four schools with a tuition stretch-out plan as long as the employee remains employed in good standing. After two years of continuous full-time employment, faculty and staff meeting admission requirements may take courses on a matriculated basis in any of the College’s four schools, with tuition remission based on the individual school packaging policy.

Dependent children of faculty and staff with one-year of continuous full-time employment, when admitted, may take courses on a matriculated basis in the School of Arts & Sciences and the generic undergraduate program in the School of Nursing, with one-half tuition remitted.

The tuition waiver covers tuition only, and will be calculated after deducting all other financial aid available to the student. Students cannot be in default of an educational loan and receive this waiver.  All other fees are the responsibility of the student and family and must be paid in full prior to registering for the next term.

In order to receive tuition remission an employee (student) must be actively working and must be in good academic standing in accordance with School policy. Tuition remission will be provided only once per course. Repeat courses and non-credit courses are not eligible for tuition remission. If an employee (student)drops a course with tuition liability the employee is financially responsible for the tuition balance as described in the School catalogue. Students that are in default of a loan cannot receive this employment benefit. 

Vocational Rehabilitation

Application Procedures: Handicapped persons may obtain a list of local offices of Vocational and Educational Services for Individuals with Disabilities (VESID) from VESID, New York State Education Department, Albany, NY 12230.

Selection of Recipients and Allocation of Awards: Any disabled person with a substantial employment handicap who can become employable within a reasonable period of time may be eligible. VESID serves those having any physical, emotional, or mental disability except blindness.

The legally blind are served by the Commission for the Blind and Visually Handicapped, State Department of Social Services, 40 North Pearl Street, Albany, NY 12243.

Eligible applicants may receive counseling, medical examinations, and other evaluation services, as well as instruction and training, including that provided by institutions of post-secondary education.

Clients are asked to share the expenses, based upon State standards, of some of the services provided, such as college or university expenses, which enable the client to attain his/her vocational objectives.

The Readers’ Aid Program

The Readers’ Aid Program is to provide payment of readers, note takers, and interpreters for students who are blind or deaf and matriculated in an institution of higher education.

Guidelines for Program Eligibility and Administration

Section I: Eligibility

In order to be eligible for the program, the student must:

  1. be a legal resident of New York State;
  2. be legally blind or deaf. Legally blind is defined as 20/200 in the better eye with best correction.
    Deaf is defined as:
    1. a severe to profound impairment of the sense of hearing. A person who is deaf cannot understand speech with or without amplification. Such a person relies primarily on visual communication, such as facial expressions and lipreading, manual communication, gestures, writing, and reading,
    2. a speech discrimination less than 70 percent. Speech discrimination would be determined by a phonetically balanced (PB) word list. The PB list should be administered at the maximum comfort level (MCL).
    3. at least a pure tone average (PTA) of 50 dB loss in the better ear. PTA is determined for each ear by computing the average of the pure tone threshold at 500 Hz, 1000 Hz, 2000 Hz. For example, if the thresholds are 60 dB at 500 Hz, 80 dB at 1000 Hz, and 90 dB at 2000 Hz, the pure tone average would be:
        60 + 80 + 90 = 230 = 77dB
        3   3  

  3. be matriculated in an institution of higher education authorized by law to grant degrees, and if in New York State, approved by the New York State Board of Regents. 
Section II: Amount and Authorized Use

A stipend, of not more than $500, is made available during each half of the academic year for a total of $1,000 for employment of persons to read to a student of a degree-granting institution who is blind or to take notes or interpret for a student who is deaf.

Readers’ aid payments are made directly to The College of New Rochelle for the students. Readers, note takers, and interpreters are paid by the College from these funds upon receipt of bills approved by the students.

Readers’ Aid funds cannot be used for tuition, maintenance fees, guide services, textbooks, equipment or supplies.

Readers, note takers and interpreters cannot be members of the student’s family without requesting or justifying the need for same in writing.

Section III: Students’ Responsibilities
  1. Students must make a separate application to the institution for each semester for which Readers’ Aid is desired. Application forms are available at the CNR Financial Aid office, district offices of the Commission for the Blind and Visually Handicapped (CBVH), and district offices of VESID.
  2. A student’s first application for Readers’ Aid must be on the standard application form and submitted after school registration. It must be accompanied by either a medical eye report from a certified ophthalmologist or certification of legal blindness by CBVH, or an audiogram from anotologist or a licensed audiologist indicating air and bone conduction thresholds. These materials should be sent to the College.
  3. Reapplications may be made by completing another application form or submitting a written request to the institution, after registration. The reapplication should identify the institution, the semester, and the number of credit hours currently registered.
  4. Applications for the fall semester (or the first half of the year) must be received at the institution by September 30, and for the second half of the year by February 1. Application and inquiries can be made at the Office of the Vice President for Student Services.

Federal Programs

Federal Direct Student Loan Program

The College participates in the Federal Government’s Direct Lending Program. Students are able to receive Unsubsidized Direct Loan and/or Graduate Plus loan.

Application Procedures: Application is made through the College’s Financial Aid Office or by completing the FAFSA at

Selection of Recipients and Allocation of Awards: To be eligible for a Federal Direct Loan, a student must be:

  1. a U.S. citizen or permanent resident alien;
  2. enrolled in a program on at least a half-time (six-credit) basis, in each semester included in the period of the loan;
  3. matriculated, working toward matriculation, or working toward teacher certification;
  4. not be in default or refund status for any Title IV program at any institution;
  5. if applicable, be registered with the Selective Service;
  6. have a Social Security number;
  7. demonstrate financial need;

Award Schedule: The graduate student may borrow up to $20,500 per year unsubsidized loan, with the combined undergraduate and graduate borrowing limit of $138,500.  Borrowing in an academic year must not exceed COA (cost of attendance). 

Rights and Responsibilities of Recipients: The student is responsible for interest payments while in school and during deferment periods. The accrued interest may be paid or capitalized, that is, the interest which should be paid can be added to the original amount of the loan.

Students who have previously signed a promissory note at CNR for either a Subsidized or Unsubsidized Direct Loan will not be asked to sign an additional note.  Promissory notes are good for ten years; if the original MPN has exceeded the 10-year limit a new Master Promissory Note will be required for current and future loan disbursements. Students will be notified of their loan eligibility by a financial aid award letter.

The interest rates and fees are determined by the Federal Government and are subject to change.


All recipients foe a Federal Direct Loan who withdraw, drop below six (6) credits, or graduate must complete an Exit Counseling session on the web at  During this counseling, students will be able to view their loan history and learn about deferral and repayment options.

Repayment: The repayment of direct Loans begins six (6) months after a student graduates or drops below half-time matriculated status.  The amount of the monthly repayment is calculated based upon the total amount that has been borrowed, as will as the repayment plan selected.  Visit and click on the link “Repayment Plans and Calculators” to learn more.

Federal Perkins Loan Program: This program is closed as of September 2017.

We will not be awarding the Federal Perkins Loans for 2017-18 to any students since the Department of Education has phased out the program.

Federal College Work/Study Program

Application Procedures: Application is made through the College’s Financial Aid Office.

Selection of Recipients and Allocation of Awards: Work is available to students enrolled at least half time. The applicant must: (1) be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen; (2) be enrolled in an undergraduate, graduate or first-professional program as a matriculated student at an institution participating in the federal campus-based programs; (3) not be in default or refund status for any federal Title IV aid at any institution; (4) if applicable, be registered with the Selective Service; and (5) demonstrate financial need.

The College makes employment reasonably available to all eligible students in the institution who are in need of financial aid and are suitable for the work program. In the event that more students are eligible for CWS than there are funds available, preference is given to students who have greater financial need and who must earn part of their educational expenses. Students enrolled in co-sponsored courses are not eligible for this program.

Award Schedule: The College arranges jobs on and off campus. Factors considered in determining whether and how many hours the applicant may work under this program are: class schedule, academic progress, health status, and employment skills. Earnings are paid directly to the student who then applies these funds to pay his/her educational expenses.

Federal Verification Guidelines

Deadlines: The deadline for federal aid recipients, selected for verification, to submit verification documents is 120 days after the last day of attendance.

Failure to Provide the Required Documentation: If a student does not supply the necessary documentation within the deadlines stated above, that student:

  1. Forfeits payment of Federal College Work-Study, Direct Loans for the award year.

Any student aid award forfeited because of a failure to submit verification documentation will be the responsibility of the student. Any balance due the College is the responsibility of the student.

Award Changes: If verification requires any changes to the “family contribution” and the amount of financial aid that a student is eligible to receive, that information is communicated to the student via a revised award letter.

Completed verification will not be communicated to the student other than the posting of their financial aid to their account at the College.

Standard Verification requires that the following items must be verified by the College: adjusted gross income; U.S. income tax paid; number of family members in the household; number of family members in post-secondary institutions as at least half-time students.

Adjusted Gross Income and U.S. Income Tax Paid: Documentation needed is the latest IRS TAX TRANSCRIPT you can can 1.800908.9946 to request your IRS TAX TRANSCRIPT. 

Verification of Household Size and Number in a Post-Secondary Institution for an Independent Student. All Graduate Students are independent. All Graduate Students are independent. Completion of the “Verification Worksheet” with the applicant, applicant’s spouse, applicant’s children, if the applicant provided at least half of the children’s support, applicant’s unborn children, if the children will be born during the award year and the applicant will provide at least half of the children’s support, other persons, if they receive more than half of their support from the applicant and at the time of application they lived with the applicant’s parents.

The household members are considered attending a post-secondary institution if they are enrolled as at least half-time students.

There are four separate but related calculations that the College must make in order to be in compliance with Federal regulations governing financial aid. The first is the implementation of the College’s refund policy for students who drop classes during the refund period. The second is the definition of a “census day” used for determining a student’s enrollment status for financial aid eligibility. The third is the calculation of federal aid to be returned when a student withdraws completely from the College. The fourth is to determine if the student received too much in cost-of-living refunds.

College’s Refund Policy

The College’s refund policy calls for an adjustment of tuition, and resident-hall room and board according to a schedule indicated below. Students may apply for and receive a refund of their tuition charges upon completion of a registration withdrawal or adjustment form. If the course is dropped and an application for refund is filed with the Registrar prior to the first day of the semester, there will be a 100% refund of tuition and resident hall room and board. If the course is dropped and the application is filed with the Registrar during the first three weeks of classes, the student may receive a percentage of tuition, and resident hall room and board according to the schedule below. All schools use the same schedule, and it applies to all registrants, including those who are permitted to register late. In the event of canceled courses, 100% of tuition will be refunded.

Fall & Spring Semesters Only

  Before the first day of the semester 100%
  Within the first week 100%
  Within the second week 50%
  Within the third week 20%
  After third week 0%

Summer, Module,Weekend, Intersession

  Before the first day of the semester 100%
  Before first class 100%
  After the first class 50%
  After the first week 0%

Census Day

The census day for financial aid is right after the tuition refund period ends, which is the third week during the fall and spring, and first week during the summer terms. This is the day upon which all federal financial aid is based.

Return of Federal Aid

If a student withdraws completely from the College, before 60% of the semester has elapsed, and is a Federal Aid recipient, the College must calculate the amount of Federal aid to be returned This amount is calculated by dividing the number of calendar days that the student was in attendance by the number of calendar days in the semester. This includes the exam period and weekends, but does not include official vacation that exceeds 10 days or more.

The reciprocal percent (the portion of the semester that the student was not in attendance) is then multiplied by each type of Federal Aid to determine the amount to be returned to the Federal government. No calculation is required if the student withdraws after 60% of the semester is completed. This Federal calculation is not based on the tuition, and any subsequent balance created at the College by the return of Title IV funds is the responsibility of the student.

An exception to the Federal return policy applies to students who receive a leave of absence and return to the College within 180 days. These students are exempt from the Federal return policy.

For example, if a student completely withdraws after 5 calendar days into the fall semester (which is 116 calendar days long) his/her tuition and room and board (if living in a resident hall) is to be reduced by 80%. Then, his/her Federal Title IV aid is calculated at 4% (5/116) with 96% of their Title IV aid, except CWS, to be returned to the Government programs from which they originated. If the student has a leave of absence with a School of the College and returns within 180 days, the student is exempt from this return policy. If the student does not return as anticipated after the leave of absence, then their Title IV funds must be returned. If the return of Title IV funds creates a balance at the College, the student will be responsible for that balance.

Financial Aid Programs for Veterans

State Programs

The New York State Higher Education Department has approved CNR for the training of veterans and the dependents of veterans under the various Veterans Readjustment Acts. For further information, contact the Associate Registrar/Veterans Affairs Liaison (914-654-5543).

Vietnam Veterans’ Tuition Awards

These New York State Awards provide up to $1,000 per semester or tuition, whichever is less, for Vietnam veterans attending full-time and $500 per semester or tuition, whichever is less, for veterans attending part-time. The veteran must be enrolled in an undergraduate program at a degree-granting institution in New York State. The total awards received cannot exceed $10,000.

National Guard Tuition Program

A new educational incentive program of the division of Military and Naval Affairs began January 1997 for members of the Army National Guard (ARNG), Air National Guard (ANG), and Naval Militia (MNNM) in the State of New York. Guard members may be eligible if they meet specific criteria:

  1. matriculated;
  2. enrolled full-time or part-time (at least 6 credits);
  3. working on first baccalaureate degree;
  4. attending an eligible New York institution;
  5. applied for a Federal Pell Grant and NYS Tuition Assistance Program (TAP); and
  6. maintained good drill attendance.

Students may receive up to $3,400/year ($1,700/semester) or tuition, whichever is less. Federal Pell grants and TAP awards will be deducted from tuition first, and the balance of tuition would be aid through this program. The Division of Military and Naval Affairs Educational Incentive Program Application is available from the National Guard. Students are responsible to pay the money back if they drop out of classes.

Persian Gulf Veterans’ Tuition Awards

Persian Gulf Veterans’ Tuition Awards (PGVTA) provide up to $1,000 per semester for full-time study or $500 per semester for part-time study to Persian Gulf veterans matriculated at an undergraduate or graduate degree-granting institution or in an approved vocational training program in New York State.

Amounts: Total undergraduate and graduate veterans’ tuition awards received cannot exceed $10,000.

Full-time Awards: $1,000 per semester, or tuition, whichever is less. Full-time is defined as 12 credits per semester or the equivalent.

Part-time Awards: $500 per semester, or tuition, whichever is less. Part-time is defined as 3-11 credits per semester or the equivalent.

Length of Awards: Awards are available for up to eight semesters (four years) of undergraduate study. Awards can be made available for up to ten semesters of undergraduate study for enrollment in a five-year program or for enrollment in an approved program of remedial study.$1,000 per semester, or tuition, whichever is less. Full-time is defined as 12 credits per semester or the equivalent.

Eligibility: Students must

  1. have served in the U.S. Armed Forces in the hostilities that occurred in the Persian Gulf from August 2, 1990, to the end of such hostilities, as evidenced by receipt of the Southwest Asia Service Medal, which was awarded from August 2, 1990 to November 30, 1995;
  2. have established eligibility by applying to HESC, Student Information, Albany, NY 12255, on or before September 1, 1998;
  3. have been discharged from the U.S. Armed Forces under other than dishonorable conditions;
  4. be matriculated full- or part-time at an undergraduate or graduate degree-granting institution in New York State or in an approved vocational training program in New York State;
  5. have applied for a Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) Award, if full-time by May 1, 1998; and
  6. have applied and met enrollment requirements for a Federal Pell Grant award for full-time or part-time undergraduate study or enrollment in an educational training program by June 30, 1998.

Students may establish eligibility by getting a Persian Gulf Veterans’ Tuition Award Supplement from the CNR Financial Aid Office, a veterans’ office, or by writing to HESC. Questions regarding eligible service or documentation of service may be answered by calling or visiting a local office of the NYS Division of Veterans’ Affairs and/or a local County Veterans’ Service Agency. Additional information is available at the HESC web site at

Vietnam Veterans’ Tuition Supplement

This program provides financial assistance to eligible veterans matriculated in undergraduate degree programs or enrolled in approved vocational training programs on either a full- or part-time basis. To be eligible under this program, the veteran must:

  1. have served in the U.S. Armed Forces in Indochina between January 1, 1963 and May 7, 1975;
  2. have been discharged from the service under other than dishonorable conditions;
  3. have been a resident of New York State on April 20, 1984 or have been a resident at the time of entry into the service and resume residency by September 1, 1994;
  4. apply for a Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) Award;
  5. apply for a Federal Pell Grant only if applying as a part-time student.

Reservist Education Program

This program provides educational assistance for members of the Selected Reserve and National Guard. This basic entitlement is $190 per month for full-time enrollment, up to a maximum of 36 months.

Federal Programs

Veterans’ Benefits Chapter 32

If the student is a veteran and enrolled in a program of study, he/she may be entitled to benefits under Chapter 32 if he/she meets the following requirements:

  1. the participant entered active duty on or after January 1, 1977, and before July 1, 1985;
  2. the participant contributed money to post-Vietnam Era Veterans’ Educational Assistance Program (VEAP) while on active duty. The participant must have enrolled in and contributed to VEAP before April 1, 1987;
  3. the participant served for a continuous period of 181 days or more (if fewer than 181 days of service, eligibility may be established if the participant was discharged from active duty because of a service-connected disability);
  4. generally, the participant must have completed either 24 continuous months of active duty or the full period for which he/she was called or ordered to active duty, whichever is less. This requirement does not apply if the participant was discharged or released from active duty under an early out discharge, hardship discharge, or for disability incurred in or aggravated in the service; and
  5. the participant was discharged or released from service under other than dishonorable conditions.

Chapter 30

The Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty

The Montgomery GI Bill, or Chapter 30, is a program of education benefits for those who entered active duty for the first time after June 30, 1985. Also included are full-time National Guard members who served after November 29, 1989.

Eligibility: Participants must have served continuously on active duty for three years of a three-year or greater initial enlistment or, for a lesser benefit, two years of an initial duty obligation of less than three years. An individual also may qualify for full benefit by initially serving two continuous years on active duty, followed by four years of Selected Reserve service.

Also eligible for Montgomery GI Bill benefits are those individuals who had remaining entitlement under the Vietnam Era GI Bill on December 31, 1989 and served on active duty sometime during the period October 19, 1984 and June 30, 1985 and continued to serve on active duty to July 1, 1988 or to June 30, 1987 followed by four years in the Selected Reserve after release from active duty.

Veterans who served on active duty for three years, or two years active duty plus four years in the Selected Reserve or National Guard, will receive $430 a month in basic benefits for 36 months. Those who enlist for fewer than three years will receive $357 per month. Starting with fiscal year 1994, cost of living increases in the basic rates were required by law.

Eligibility requirement for those with basic Chapter 34 eligibility and who served on active duty on or after July 1, 1985; people who are eligible to receive Chapter 34 benefits on December 31, 1989, and who have remaining Chapter 34 entitlement or that date may be eligible for Chapter 30 beginning January 1, 1990. In order to be eligible, specific criteria must be met:

  1. the individual must have been on active duty on October 19, 1984;
  2. the individual must have served without a break in service from that date through June 30,1985;
  3. the individual must have served continuously on active duty from July 1, 1985, for three years. In lieu of this three-year requirement, the individual may qualify if he/she served two years of continuous active duty which was followed by four years in the Selected Reserve; and
  4. if the individual completes the required period of active duty he/she must be discharged with an Honorable Discharge.

Length of Award: In most cases, eligibility expires ten years after last discharge or release from active duty.

Chapter 33

GI Bill Post 9/11

The Post- 9/11 GI Bill is an education benefit program for individuals who served on active duty after September 10, 2001.

Eligibility: You may be eligible if you served at least 90 aggregate days on active duty* after September 10, 2001, or were honorably discharged from active duty for a service-connected disability after serving 30 continuous days following September 10, 2001.

Note: Children of a member of the Armed Forces who died in the line of duty on or after September 11, 2001, may be eligible for Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits under the Marine Gunnery John David Fry Scholarship Program.

Benefits:You may receive a percentage of the following payments
1. A Tuition and Fee payment that is paid to your school on your behalf.

2.A Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA)** that is equal to:
• the basic allowance for housing (BAH) payable for the zip code of your school to a military E-5 with dependents for students pursuing resident training;
• one-half the BAH national average for students training solely by distance learning;
• the national average BAH for students pursuing training at foreign schools.

*includes active service as a National Guard member under title 32 U.S.C. for the purpose of organizing, administering, recruiting, instructing, or training and active service under section 502(f) of title 32 for the purpose of responding to a national emergency.

**The MHA is not payable to individuals on active duty or those enrolled at half time or less.

3. A Books and Supplies Stipend of up to $1000 per year.

If you are 100% eligible for Chapter 33 Post 9/11 you may be be approved for the Yellow Ribbon program.

Chapter 106

Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve

Basic eligibility extends to a person who meets the following requirements:

  1. on or after July 1, 1985, (a) enlists, re-enlists, or extends enlistment in the Selected Reserve so that the reservist has an obligation to serve for a period of not less than six years following the date of such action, or (b) is appointed as, or serving as, a reserve officer and agrees to serve in the Selected Reserve for a period of not less than six years in addition to any other period of obligated Selected Reserve service;
  2. has completed the requirements of a secondary school diploma (or equivalency certificate) before completing the initial active duty for training (IADT) or before completing an re-enlistment, or extends an enlistment in order to establish eligibility for Chapter 106 benefits;
  3. has completed IADT;
  4. is satisfactorily participating in required training in the Selected Reserve; and
  5. the last day for an eligible reservist to establish eligibility under Chapter 106 is the earlier of either (a) ten years from the date eligibility began, or (b) the date of separation from the Selected Reserve.

Non-eligible Persons: The following are not eligible for Chapter 106:

  1. is receiving financial assistance under section 2107 of Title 10, U.S.C., as a member of the Senior Reserve Officer’s Training Corps scholarship program; or
  2. has completed a program of education required for a bachelor’s degree or the equivalent.

Entitlement: An eligible reservist is entitled to a maximum of 36 months of educational assistance based upon full-time training (or the equivalent in part-time training).

A reservist who fails to participate satisfactorily in the Selected Reserve is no longer eligible for educational assistance under Chapter 106. Termination of benefits is effective the date the reservist fails to participate satisfactorily.

Chapter 31

Veterans’ Educational Benefits

If the student has a service-connected disability of ten or more percent, he/she may be entitled to Vocational Rehabilitation under Chapter 31, Title 38, U.S.C., which usually provides more favorable benefits than other veterans’ educational benefits.

Veterans’ Education Assistance Program (VEAP)

This program is for servicepersons who entered active duty between December 31, 1976 and July 1, 1987. Participants contributed up to $2,700 to a fund administered by the Federal government. The Defense Department matches every participant’s dollar, 2 for 1. That total sum is then divided by 36, thus giving the monthly payment the participant would receive.

Chapter 35

Educational Benefits for Veterans’ Dependents

To qualify for educational assistance, the student must be one of the following: a child of a veteran who died of a service-connected disability or who died while a service-connected disability, total and permanent in nature, was in existence; or a child of a veteran who is permanently and totally disabled as a result of a service-connected disability; or a child of an individual on active duty who has been listed for a total of more than 90 days as missing in action, captured by a foreign government or power.

Eligibility for educational assistance will be terminated in the event the Veterans’ Administration determines that the person on whose account benefits are claimed is no longer totally disabled or the Veterans’ Administration is notified that the person is no longer listed as captured, missing in action, or forcibly detained. However, if the student is still in school at such time, the educational assistance allowance may be continued to the end of the current semester.

Educational assistance generally will not be payable beyond the 26th birthday. There are circumstances, however, under which eligibility may continue until a later date. For specific information on educational benefits beyond age 26, the individual should phone or write any Veterans’ Administration Office or the United States Veterans’ Assistance Center.

Veterans’ Educational Loans

Recipients of Chapter 34 benefits may be eligible for educational loans if their financial resources, including educational benefits, are not sufficient to meet educational costs.

Financial Aid for Students from Other Countries

A certificate of eligibility for a visa (Form I-20 or IAP-66) certifying that the foreign student has sufficient funds to finance at least the first year of study must be issued by the College when a student is accepted for admission; please confirm with the Registrar’s Office 914-654-5543. Foreign students are not eligible to receive State or Federal financial aid funds.

Also, there is much less institutional financial assistance available to foreign students today than in the past. Decreased funds from outside sources have made it necessary for the College to reserve most of its aid for U.S. students. Therefore, foreign students should make financial preparations for meeting their entire educational costs before beginning their course of study at CNR. More opportunities exist for aid before the prospective student leaves his or her home country than in the U.S. Before departure, the student should consult with his or her own government, the U.S. government, and private or international agencies and organizations.

Financial Aid for Attendance Abroad or Visiting Another College

Students who wish to attend another college, as a visiting student, should apply for financial aid at that college. Students who are unable to receive financial aid from the visited college can request that CNR consider aid for these studies. There is limited financial aid available for study at another college. To apply for financial aid from CNR to attend a visited college, the student must complete and forward to that college a CNR Financial Aid Consortium Agreement. After completion by the visited college, this agreement must be sent to the Dean’s Office at CNR for academic approval and then forwarded to the CNR Financial Aid Office.

Under no conditions will CNR agree to be responsible for the charges at the visited college, nor any travel or living expenses. Nothing in the agreement should be implied to encourage deferment of charges by the visited college. Any financial aid that the student might receive will be sent directly to the student.

Students who are studying at another college, as part of a CNR program and pay tuition to CNR, can receive their financial aid as if they were on campus. The additional expenses of travel and living can be included in their aid.

Students are encouraged to see their Financial Aid Counselor before making any plans to attend another college.

Financial Aid Office Hours

If you have any questions about your aid or account, please contact the Financial Aid Office, Administration Center, 9 a.m. - 6 p.m., Monday - Thursday, and 9 a.m - 5 p.m., Friday, at 914-654-5434 or 914-654-5449.  You can also access your account at Banner Self Service and all other important information regarding your financial aid and forms.

This publication is printed annually and all information is correct at the date of publication. However, certain financial aid programs, policies, and procedures may be changed due to State and Federal regulations. For confirmation of information on any financial aid programs, please contact the Office of Financial Aid.