May 19, 2019  
2018-2019 School of Arts & Sciences 
2018-2019 School of Arts & Sciences

Degrees of the School

The School of Arts & Sciences awards three degrees: the Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), the Bachelor of Science (B.S.), and the Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A.). Those students who have enrolled in the School with the intention to pursue one of these degrees are considered matriculated students. The School awards degrees in May, August and January.

The official list of degree programs registered by the New York State Education Department is presented in this catalog under the title HEGIS Code Listing.

The student who wishes to earn the B.A. degree must (1) major in a field which leads to that degree; (2) earn at least 90 credits in liberal studies. No more than 30 credits in professional courses (courses coded Z) may be counted toward the B.A. degree.

The student who wishes to earn the B.S. degree must (1) major in a field which leads to that degree; (2) earn at least 60 credits in liberal studies. Ordinarily, no more than 60 credits in professional courses may be taken by the student earning a B.S. degree.

The student who wishes to earn the B.F.A. degree must (1) major in a field within the Art Department which leads to that degree; (2) earn 60 credits in liberal studies. Ordinarily, no more than 60 credits in professional courses may be taken by the student earning a B.F.A. degree.

A minimum of one half of the credits required for a student’s major must be completed in residence.

Degree Requirements

Requirements for the bachelor’s degree from the School of Arts & Sciences are specified in five categories:

Credits - The total number of earned credits required for a B.A. or a B.S. degree in the School of Arts & Sciences is 120. The Bachelor of Arts degree requires a minimum of 90 credits of liberal studies. A Bachelor of Science degree requires a minimum of 60 credits of liberal studies. Ordinarily, a requires 120 credits, including 60 credits in liberal studies and 60 credits in professional studies.

Major - The student must major in a registered program leading to a degree. (See the list of registered programs in the section on Degrees of the School.)

Residency - Normally half of the required 120 credits must be taken at The College of New Rochelle. At least 30 of these in-residence credits must be done at the junior or senior level. At least half of the required credits for both a major and minor must be taken at The College of New Rochelle.  Students transferring in more than 60 credits should meet with the Dean to discuss residency requirements.

Courses - Courses required of all students are specified by the Liberal Arts Core Program. Other course requirements are those specified by the student’s major and professional program requirements. Four courses in physical education are required.

Academic Standing - Students must be in good academic standing in order to graduate.

See appropriate section for greater detail on these categories.

Credit Requirements

A credit or credit-hour normally represents the number of class hours per week a course meets during a semester of approximately 15 weeks. Thus, a class that meets for three 50-minute periods or two 75-minute periods a week for one semester is a three-credit course.

The normal credit load per semester is 15. A student who wishes to carry more than 16.5 credits must obtain permission from the Dean. In general, a student should have a 3.00 cumulative average in order to take more than 16.5 credits.

Four courses in physical education are required. Physical education courses meet two class hours a week; they do not carry credit.

All classes require approximately twice as many hours of preparation and study as there are credit hours.

Independent Study

When students wish to pursue a subject of study which is not available to them in the regular course offerings of the School, they may arrange to take a course of independent study under the supervision of a faculty member and with the approval of their department chairperson. Since the students are doing advanced work in an area with which they are familiar, they bear the major responsibility for designing and carrying out their program. A Learning Contract describing the theme and scope of the work, a brief bibliography, and the basis for the final evaluation, must be submitted to the Dean for approval. An independent study requires a minimum of four one-hour meetings a semester, and it may not be done on a pass/fail basis.

Each student is limited to one independent study per semester. Students must have a minimum cumulative grade point index of 2.5 to be eligible to take an independent study which is not required for their degree. This option is only open to students above the freshman level. Majors may have additional requirements above these minimum requirements and should consult individual program listings in this catalog.


A tutorial can be offered when an unavailable course is essential or when individual instruction seems the most appropriate way to learn. It is assumed that the students are working in a field in which they do not necessarily possess a prior competence. Therefore, it is expected that the faculty member, with the approval of the student’s chairperson and the Dean, will bear the major responsibility for designing and carrying out the tutorial. Students who wish to arrange a tutorial will complete a Learning Contract which will be submitted to the Dean for approval. A tutorial requires a minimum of a one-hour meeting per week for 15 weeks, and it may not be taken on a pass-fail basis.


Internships offer students a valuable learning experience in a professional setting related to their area of study. Students are offered this opportunity by the department when they has sufficient background and conceptual knowledge to function successfully in the field. The conditions for each field work placement and internship are established in advance by the students and their faculty instructor in consultation with their on-site supervisor at the beginning of the semester.

A student who undertakes an internship or fieldwork placement must complete 45 hours of academic work for each credit, 30 of which are in the designated field setting, for each credit awarded. In addition, the student is expected to have regular meetings with the faculty instructor and on-site supervisor, to participate in discussion sessions as required, and to submit appropriate reports.

Ordinarily, only juniors and seniors who have a cumulative index of 2.5 are eligible for an internship. The maximum number of credits which may be earned in any given semester is six. No more than twelve internship credits may be earned toward the undergraduate degree without permission of the Dean. Students should consult with the department or program chairperson concerning grading policy and other guidelines affecting internships and other work related experiences.

Cooperative Education

Cooperative Education combines on-campus study with off-campus paid work experience. It is designed to help students relate academic learning to situations and problems in the world of work.

In addition to course work, students participating in a Cooperative Education experience will be employed for an average of 15-20 hours a week. Ordinarily the students will seek placements which are related to their academic major. Students will receive three credits for their Cooperative Education experience and study, and are paid at a rate comparable to that of other employees in the company.

To participate in a Cooperative Education experience, a student must have junior status with a minimum of 60 credits and a cumulative index of at least 2.5. With the approval of the academic adviser, the maximum number of Cooperative Education credits a student may take is 12, three credits each semester of junior and senior year. Students should check with their departmental advisors for grading policies.

If the academic advisor approves the Cooperative Education experience, students should contact the Coordinator of Cooperative Education in the Counseling and Career Services Office to discuss their career interests and learning goals. The Coordinator will inform the students of possible job placements. The co-op experience begins after the Learning Contract is approved by the Dean.

Class Standing

Class standing is determined by the number of credit hours successfully completed as of the beginning of each academic semester:

  0 - 26 Freshman standing
  27 - 56 Sophomore standing
  57 - 86 Junior standing
  87 - 120 Senior standing


Non-matriculated students do not have class standing. Normally, they may enroll in the School of Arts & Sciences for a maximum of 10 courses, or 30 credits, by obtaining permission from the Dean. After completion of 10 courses, the student must either change to matriculated status or withdraw from the School.

Non-matriculated students who wish to change their status must be recommended by the Dean for matriculation based on their successful academic performance. They may request to matriculate any time before the completion of 30 credits in the School of Arts & Sciences. The students’ class standing is determined at the time of their acceptance as a degree candidate.

Academic Advisement

Faculty advisors play an important role in each student’s education. Entering freshmen are assigned a Faculty Advisor who collaborates with student advisees to set educational goals, assess academic needs, select courses, and help them become acquainted with and involved in the diverse activities of the collegiate community. Faculty advisors also help their advisees locate and use academic and personal resources and opportunities that enrich the educational experience of the student and contribute to the achievement of career goals.

Faculty advisors are readily accessible to students through scheduled office hours and conferences by appointment.  All students are encouraged to meet with their advisors on a regular basis. While the advisor assists students in planning their program, the fulfillment of the School’s academic requirements remains the sole responsibility of the student.

The Dean’s Office maintains a list of departmental advisors. Degree requirement checklists and major checklists are also available in the Dean’s Office. All forms that pertain to the advisement process (i.e., declaration of major forms, change of major forms, visiting student forms, etc.), are available in the Dean’s Office.

The Major

Each student selects a major field of study. The selection of a major is usually made no later than the end of sophomore year to facilitate appropriate program planning. The requirements for the major vary with each department and are described in this catalog in the section on Academic Programs. A student must register for a major by completing a Declaration of Major form and submitting it to the Registrar’s office. To change a major, students must complete a Change of Major form.

Students may complete the requirements of two departmental majors and have both listed on their records. Students who choose to have a double major must register both majors. This is done during the sophomore year and permits both departments to help the student plan a program for completing the requirements of a dual major. In registering two majors, the student declares a first major and a second major. The department faculty advisor for the second major advises the student for that major and approves a program of study for completion of requirements for the major. The advisor for the first major is the student’s primary advisor and, in addition to providing advisement for the major, assists the overall coordination of his or her curriculum.

The present curriculum offers the following departmental majors: Art Education, Art, Art Therapy, Biology, Business, Chemistry, Economics, English, Environmental Studies, French, History, Justice and Criminal Studies, Mathematics, Media Arts, Philosophy, Political Science, Psychology, Religious Studies, Social Work, Sociology, Spanish, and Interdisciplinary Studies. In addition, the curricula offers teacher education programs approved and registered with New York State, successful completion of which also fulfills the terms of the Interstate Agreement on Qualifications of Educational Personnel.

The Minor

Students are encouraged to develop competency in a second area by choosing a minor field. The requirements for a minor vary with each department and are listed in this catalog in the section on Academic Programs. Ordinarily, a minor requires a minimum of eighteen credits. At least half of the required credits must be taken in residence at CNR. A completed minor program of study is listed on the student’s record.

In order to have an official minor, students must complete a Declaration of Minor form and submits it to the Registrar’s office no later than the end of their junior year.